If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (866) 737-8899

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Bleach May Cause More Harm than Good

3/8/2019 (Permalink)

Some people have been told bleach is a quick way to take care of a mold problem.  It is true bleach kills mold, but it can only kill mold spores it can reach, and it is active for only a short time span. In other words it has no residual affect on mold spores to protect the material in the long term.

The application instructions for bleach specify it is effective on nonporous surfaces, such as ceramic and tile, countertops, appliances, etc. Mold can also grow on:

  • Walls, ceilings or other painted surfaces
  • Fabrics, like carpets, rugs and furniture
  • Inside the grout between your tiles
  • Along window sills

Mold spores can establish colonies of mold inside walls, under floors and behind cabinets, etc.

Mold spores are live organisms, and therefore are designed to defend themselves and to launch defense mechanisms when threatened or attacked. Another side-effect of using bleach, as opposed to an EPA registered antimicrobial disinfectant, is to exacerbate the problem by causing the mold to take its' defense mechanisms to the next level. This can accelerate the colonization of mold spores and increase the level of mold infestation. 

Mold spores thrive when excess moisture is present in materials susceptible to mold growth. Bleach-based cleaners contain mostly water. After you finish your initial fungus cleanup, the damp surface encourages more mold to grow. 

SERVPRO of Crowley & South Johnson County will identify the true extent of the infestation and treat infected areas while controlling the spread of spores.

Other News

View Recent Posts