If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (866) 737-8899

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Smart Strategies for Preventing House Fires | SERVPRO® of Crowley & South Johnson County

8/13/2019 (Permalink)

Fires caused by cooking are the leading source of house fires. If your home has fire damage, call SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County.

While every household should make installing smoke alarms a priority, there are other prevention resources you can use in conjunction with smoke alarms to make your home even safer. Because house fires occur often and for many reasons, it is essential to learn about the statistics and strategies for preventing them.

House Fires and the Numbers

According to the NFPA, every 24 seconds, someone is affected by a home fire. Extrapolated, that means there are an estimated 8,600 house fires in the United States each day.

Fires caused by cooking are the leading source of house fires, but there are many other reasons a fire could start as well. Faulty appliance cords, dryer lint and aerosol cans can also pose a fire risk if not handled carefully.

Top Tips for Fire Prevention

The best way to defend against house fire risk is by being proactive. Learning tips about fire prevention will help you understand the risks and how you can prevent them:

Check up on smoke alarms. Check your smoke alarms every 30 days, and replace them every 10 years, even if they still appear to be functional.

Clean dryer lint. As lint builds up and the dryer gets warm, it can become a combustion risk. Remove lint from the dryer tray after each load of laundry.

Never leave open flames. Fires can start and spread faster than you think, which is why it is never wise to leave the room when there is an open flame. Whether it is a candle, cooking flame or fireplace, always keep an eye on them.

Monitor electrical cords. Cords and electrical wires should be checked often for frayed spots and immediately replaced if they are present. Never run electrical cords under rugs or behind furniture, as they can produce heat.

Check for flammable products. Chemicals in household products can be highly flammable, as well as products that come in aerosol cans. Keep these away from sunlight or heat sources.

If your home has suffered damage from a house fire, give us a call. We are certified in fire and soot remediation, and here to help 247.

Other News

View Recent Posts