If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (817) 297-8588

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Cleburne House fire caused by Heating Lamp

2/11/2020 (Permalink)

House fire due to heating lamp left unattended.

SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County was dispatched to a home in Cleburne, that had fire damage due to a heating lamp catching fire at the resident’s home. Thankfully no one was hurt in the fire, but approximately 75% of the house was affected from the fire. Unfortunately due to the damage of the home, the insurance has declared the home to be a total loss.

Heating equipment, such as a heating lamp, is one of the leading causes of fires in the U.S. In winter months many use heating lamps to keep their farm animals warm, pets on their porches warm and reptiles inside the home.

According to National Fire Protection Association (NFPA); “Our local fire departments responded to an average of 52,050 fires involving heating equipment each year in the years 2012 thru 2016. During that time, those fires resulted in annual losses of 490 civilian deaths, 1,400 civilian injuries and $1 billion in direct property damage.”

If you are using heating lamps, please be sure to follow these following safety tips.

7 Helpful Safety While using a heating lamp:

  • Clean up any cobwebs/dust: Make sure to dust often and there are no cobwebs near the heating lamps you may have in your barns and/or homes. Barns can be dusty places!
  • Keep wires out of reach: Be sure wires are not being heating by the lamp itself and that wires are not exposed.
  • Double secure the lamp: Make sure wherever you have your heating lamp setup that is secure.
  • Never put a water bucket under the heat lamp: This can cause an electrical fire if the lamp was to fall into the water.
  • Use heat lampcages: To help reduce the risks of burns.
  • Keep lampsaway from bedding:  Material is flammable.
  • Check lampsfor frayed wires: Safety is important! This is a basic electrical rule. And one of the leading causes of electrical fires.

Should you find yourself in an unfortunate event due to a fire - give us a call! We’ll help pick up the pieces and make it like “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts