What are the Green and Black Spots on My Things After a Fire?
SERVPRO Techs Can Clean up the Fire Damage and Additional Issues Such as Mold in Your Cleburne Home
As quickly as 48 hours after a fire in your home, naturally occurring mold spores can germinate, establish themselves in colonies, and spread. You may enter your Cleburne home post-fire to survey the damage and see numerous areas on the walls and your possessions of small spots, and those are usually mold growth. It is crucial to get professional remediation to halt the infestation and save as much of your possessions as possible.
Is It Possible to Get Mold Remediation and Fire Damage Restoration at the Same Time?
When the techs at SERVPRO handle fire damage restoration services in local Cleburne properties, along with fire damage, it is not unusual to deal with water damage and sometimes mold infestations. After a fire, there are three primary outcomes for building materials and contents in the home:
- Removal and disposal due to charring or other non-restorable damage
- Deep cleaning making the item suitable for reuse
- Reuse after repairs, such as with electronics or the application of a sealant on sheetrock, locking in embedded soot
Mold sometimes compounds the issues by appearing when the cleanup efforts get a delayed start. The locked-in warmth and moisture create a suitable environment for germination and infestation of colonies. During the fire damage cleanup of a property, the techs remove undamaged furnishings to a safe space outside the work area.
SERVPRO technicians have certifications in Mold Remediation #MRC1353 and have the training and equipment to successfully neutralize any size infestation. Before any repairs can occur in the home, the mold issues need to get remediated. The typical process for handling mold damage is:
- Containment (much like fire cleanup) to stop airborne spores from spreading
- Removal of mold-damaged materials and articles
- Drying of colonies and abatement to remove dried residues
Afterward, the techs rely on their professional-strength antimicrobial cleaning agents to disinfect surfaces where mold colonies grew previously. Post-cleaning, the use of antimicrobial sealants assures no return of the problem to that area.
For both the cleanup of the water used in extinguishing the fire in Cleburne and areas of mold growth, the drying equipment SERVPRO uses is critical in lowering the interior humidity levels. Air movers work to direct air throughout a room while specialized equipment such as drying mats can lay on the hardwood flooring and dry the boards in place. In water seepage cases under tile or other types of floor covering, the drying mats can pull the embedded moisture from the subfloor. The drying process gets monitored carefully using various devices to ensure that drying goals for interior humidity levels get attained, and the work area verifies as unsustainable levels for mold.
When needed in cases of mold and with permission from the adjuster, SERVPRO techs can bring in certified professionals in industrial air quality or aerobiologists to ascertain the types of mold present and afterward to verify the success of the remediation.
A big part of fire damage cleanup is the odor removal. Repairs and restoration to the property cannot get done on top of smelly smoke odors. As the techs clean the visible residues away, embedded soot particulate continues to produce odors until it gets neutralized.
SERVPRO techs call upon using a diverse selection of both deodorization solutions and applications to eradicate the smoke scent that fires leave behind. Often a single type of control method to remove the residual smells in a property may not be successful, and the techs utilize a multi-layered approach. Along with air scrubbers running during the entire restoration process, the use of both hydroxyl generators and thermal fogging neutralize any remaining odorous particulates at the molecular level.
The follow up after the restoration is one of the most vital parts of the cleanup. SERVPRO techs work closely with both property owners and their adjusters to ensure the work is within the scope of coverage. Afterward, the crew chief takes the property owner throughout the job-site and goes over the actions taken, items that required disposal, and everything that got restored. Afterward, the techs provide a written report covering this information to assist in expediting any insurance claims.
SERVPRO of Crowley & South Johnson County at (817) 297-8588 serves the local community with small and extensive fire damage restoration needs. The certified technicians have extensive training and access to various equipment to assist cleaning items exposed to the fire for reuse.