How Local Homeowners Can Tell if Their Home Needs Restoration Services After a Storm
Blog Summary: SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County explains what degree of storm damage severity necessitates the services of a storm damage restoration company.
Providing flood and storm damage restoration services is the cornerstone of SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County. The company’s highly trained professionals use specialized equipment and advanced training to quickly restore Crowley and South Johnson County properties to pre-storm condition. The IICRC-certified technicians are dedicated to responding immediately to storm and flood damage disasters in order to minimize secondary damage.
When a storm and flood damage disaster strikes a community, one of the most difficult questions homeowners must ask themselves is, “When is it time to call in a professional storm damage restoration team to restore our property?” When a region of the state or a single community is devastated by severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, flash flooding, or the remnants of a hurricane or tropical storm, what is the best use of resources and manpower to restore a home or business that has suffered damage? Here are some signs that the storm damage is severe enough to warrant securing the services of a property damage restoration company before the situation grows any worse.
Personal safety is the top priority. A home or commercial structure can be repaired or replaced, but personal injury or a fatality has long-term consequences that no amount of skill, time, or money can undo or repair. Homeowners should exercise extreme caution when assessing damage after a storm.
Signs that a homeowner may have sustained storm damage
- If the power is out
- If trees and debris are strewn throughout the yard or neighborhood
- If creeks and rivers have overflowed their banks
- If streets and yards are flooded
- If crawl spaces and basements are flooded
- If neighbors have sustained roof or other structural damage related to the storm
- If the weather service is calling for more extensive severe weather
- If first responders, utility vehicles, or other service vehicles are arriving in the neighborhood
The following evidence indicates that a home may have sustained storm damage that requires the services of a property damage restoration company.
- Broken windows from hail damage or high winds
- Missing or damaged shingles
Look for shingles that are curled, buckling, dented, torn, or scattered in the yard. Gaps in the shingle pattern and exposed tar paper, plywood, or OSB board are evidence of serious roof damage and possible water leak damage in the attic.
- Gutters filled with debris from the storm
- Gutters, downspouts, or flashing that is dented, dangling, or collapsed
- Missing, dented, or dangling roof vents
- Chimney damage
Dislodged bricks can allow water to leak inside the home around the chimney.
- Ceilings: water spots and yellow, copper, or brown discoloration
- Walls: cracking, peeling, or bubbling in the paint or wallpaper
- Attic: puddling water, wet insulation, moisture, and stains on support beams and roofing plywood
- Standing water in the crawl space
- Musty, earthy smell indicating mold and mildew
Mold and mildew infestation may occur in as little as 24-48 hours.
Visible gaps, curling, sagging, or buckling in the flooring are indicative of storm damage that needs immediate attention.
Storm damage restoration services provided by SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County include these and other services:
- Inspection of damage and the provision of an assessment and estimate of restoration and repair services
- Handling of insurance claims from start to completion
- Emergency tarping and board up services for obvious damage to the roof, windows, or siding
- Emergency pack-up and storage of belongings
- Water removal, extraction, drying, dehumidification, and sanitization
- Document restoration
- Appliance and electronics restoration
- Furniture and upholstery restoration
- Restoration and repair of flooring, ceilings, and walls
- Mold and mildew mitigation and remediation
- Cleanup, sanitization, disinfecting, and deodorizing
SERVPRO of Crowley and South Johnson County is locally owned and operated, which means that the company is invested in the lives of the residents and businesses of Crowley, Texas, and the surrounding communities in South Johnson County. When the area is hit by a flooding or storm emergency, technicians are already nearby and ready to help. The team of damage restoration specialists takes pride in being a part of the community, and they want to do their part in making it the best it can be.
For more information about flooding and storm damage restoration in Crowley, TX, and the surrounding area, contact the office by phone at (817) 297-8588 or by email at office@SERVPROcrowley.com.